With a focus on Planning and Policy, UNEP DTU seeks to be one of the leading international partners for developing countries, providing decision support and technical assistance to their efforts on integrating their mitigation and adaptation priorities in the national development processes. This helps countries focus on implementing the already submitted Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and strengthening ambitions in the future.
Our goal is that countries develop and implement tangible and measurable climate actions as an integral part of national development planning and policies, and as a result submit more ambitious and higher quality NDCs every five years to the UNFCCC.
Our work supports country processes to integrate climate priorities in national development planning and policies, and to build stronger national frameworks for NDC planning and implementation. We will assist this through technical assistance, capacity building support and development of relevant guidance and tools.
At the global level we deliver annual assessments of progress and gaps in relation to both mitigation and adaptation action and long-term goals.
Our efforts focus on
- Governance structures supported by conducive legal and finance frameworks
- Capacity building and readiness frameworks for climate compatible policy development and implementation, including in the NDCs and linking with other Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) priorities
- Technology Needs Assessments (TNAs), accelerated implementation of technology actions and their links to NDC’s
- Sectoral analysis, guidance, tools and recommendations of technology and policy options and long-term strategies
- Global assessments of status, progress and gaps in mitigation and adaptation to inform the UNFCCC process