The project entitled “NDC Action – Facilitating implementation of climate-resilient and low-carbon development aligned with national and global goals” (“NDC Action”) will be co-implemented in Uganda by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UNEP DTU Partnership (UDP) together with Ministry of Water and Environment/Climate Change Department (MWE/CCD).
Background to the Assignment
“NDC Action” will be implemented under the technical and political guidance of the MWE/CCD as the Lead Project Focal Government entity in Uganda, and in collaboration with the National Planning Authority, the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development and the line ministries primarily responsible for the two sectors of clean energy and agriculture that have been prioritized to receive support in the project.
By translating Uganda’s NDC into sectoral portfolios of policies and programmes, and providing tailor-made technical assistance to relevant actors of changes, the project will bridge the gap between the content of the NDC and the information and capacity required for its implementation in the two sectors prioritized for receiving support in the project. Further, the project will:
- Secure a multi-stakeholder and high-level engagement at national level;
- Support the development of investment plans for the two priority sectors with private sector’s and financial institutions’ involvement in the process;
- Support the development of at least one proposal up to its financial close with international and/or domestic, and public and/or private, financing secured; and
- Facilitate experience-sharing across sectors in Uganda and with other countries, regionally.
Duration of assignment: 12 Months (possibility for renewal each year subject to performance and availability of funds)
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support MWE/CCD NDC implementation coordination:
- Convening coordination meetings;
- Supporting MWE/CCD in tracking outside support for NDC implementation;
- Supporting MWE/CCD in strengthening institutional mechanisms for optimal NDC implementation;
- Supporting MWE/CCD’s oversight function of the Committees on climate change.
- Support “NDC Action” project implementation and management:
- General project implementation and management;
- Drive energetically the “NDC Action” project activities considered most catalytic for driving project results and fostering their further uptake, using virtuous feed-back loops (through e.g. on the ground targeted cross-sectoral actions that will feed empirical data into coordination mechanisms, that will inform sectoral investment plans amendments, that will then support broader transformation on the ground);
- Explore and develop project synergies between “NDC Action” project and other NDC implementation support programmes and other relevant support activities (e.g. NAP, Transparency, etc.), and facilitate peer-learning.
Qualifications of consultant:
- A University degree (preferably with a postgraduate) in either (or combination of) public administration, development, economics, natural resource management, the environmental science/studies, natural sciences or socio-economic related field.
- At least 8 – 10 years of experience in areas of work related to climate change policy development and analysis and institutional assessment and capacity building in relation to climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Experience working with the Government of Uganda is an asset;
- Experience in program development and implementation is an asset;
- Excellent skills and experience in stakeholder engagement and facilitation.
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken Luganda and English;
Special knowledge and skills:
- Professional experience of working with the United Nations projects would be an added advantage;
- Ability to work under pressure, with short lead times.
CV (indicating the names of 3 referees) and cover letter (describing how your skill set, training and education matches the job description and requirements).
Please submit your application to Emmanuel Ackom (firstname.lastname@example.org); Bob Natifu (email@example.com), Richard Munang (firstname.lastname@example.org); Toyo Kawabata (email@example.com) and Fatima Figueroa (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application deadline: 18/06/2020Read more