The TEMARIN project (see here for more) is a three-year, DANIDA (Danish Development Agency) funded project covering the countries of Kenya and Uganda with the overall aim to support countries in accelerating the transfer, diffusion and uptake of specific climate technologies. The project focus is on strengthening domestic markets for climate technologies, removing bottlenecks for domestic firms operating in these markets and increasing cooperation among private actors, public actors and international actors to build global and national partnerships for upscaling implementation.
The overall aim is to explore the conditions under which domestic/local private companies (Uganda-owned) can increase their share of the global value chain for specific climate technologies – and support them in doing so – in order to maximise local job creation and reduce investment project costs. In this process, the project aims to generate relevant market knowledge and insights (captive PV market report), profile and understand the growth of domestic/local solar companies (reports and workshops), identify critical bottlenecks, and elevate the discussion to co-create practical solutions, supporting partnerships, and recommendations (workshops and bilateral consultations) by plugging them into the work of policymakers/relevant Ministries.
The assignment includes:
- Analytical Component – Analysis of the domestic solar SMEs, their growth trajectories and challenges in Uganda
- Workshops Component – Organizing and facilitating stakeholder workshops for co-creating ideas and action plans
- Partnership Component – Partnership facilitation support for climate mitigation technologies building on market insights
Qualifications and Skills
The consultants, a consultancy firm, or a team led by a lead consultant should have the following qualifications/skills:
- Degree in renewable energy, environment, entrepreneurship, business development, policy or related field
- 7-10 years’ experience within Uganda/East Africa, including conducting market assessments, analytical reports, and developing roadmaps/action plans
- Experience of developing, facilitating and delivering stakeholder workshops and group facilitating aimed at engaging multiple actors
- Working knowledge and experience in the clean energy sector in Uganda and East Africa.
- Experience in conducting detailed interviews and surveys.
- Proficient analytical and writing skills and excellent English communication skills
- Good oratory skills in the local language including Swahili and/or Bantu, or other local dialects
- Postgraduate degree in renewable energy, business development and entrepreneurship fields, or climate related fields
- Experience in the areas of market advisory, market research analysis, entrepreneurship support, business development, financial analysis
- Knowledge of and experience with donor projects/programs
The contract period is 11 months from 25 January 2021 to 20 December 2021. This may be extended further.
Interested consultants (including independent consultants, consultancy firm or a team led by a lead consultant) should submit their application to the TEMARIN team – Padmasai Lakshmi B, at email@example.com with copy to Mathilde Brix Pedersen firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to include the following information:
- A cover letter demonstrating experience and knowledge in the clean energy sector and entrepreneurship/business fields including knowhow of the relevant actors and interest groups.
- Detailed CV along with summary of relevant projects and initiatives you have been a part of and your specific role within them.
- 1-pager write-up on preliminary ideas, reflections, and thoughts on your approach to this work and activities indicated in this ToR.
The deadline for submitting proposals is 18th January 2021. Interviews with shortlisted candidates will take place the following week.
Application deadline: 18/01/2021