The project entitled “NDC Action – Facilitating implementation of climate-resilient and low-carbon development aligned with national and global goals” (“NDC Action”) will be co-implemented in Ghana through year 2023 by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UNEP DTU Partnership (UDP) together with National Technical Institutions (NTIs) that will deliver in-country technical assistance led by UDP.
Background to the Assignment
“NDC Action” will be implemented under the technical and political guidance of the Environment Protection Agency (EPA) as the Lead Project Focal Government entity in Ghana, and in collaboration with the Ministry of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation (MESTI), National Development Planning Commission (NDPC), Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning and the line ministries primarily responsible for the two sectors of clean energy and agriculture that have been prioritized to receive support in the project.
By translating Ghana’s NDC into sectoral portfolios of policies and programmes, and providing tailor-made technical assistance to relevant actors of changes, the project will bridge the gap between the content of the NDC and the information and capacity required for its implementation in the two sectors prioritized for receiving support in the project. Further, the project will:
- Secure a multi-stakeholder and high-level engagement at national level;
- Support the development of investment plans for the two priority sectors with private sector’s and financial institutions’ involvement in the process;
- Support the development of at least one proposal up to its financial close with international and/or domestic, and public and/or private, financing secured; and
- Facilitate experience-sharing across sectors in Ghana and with other countries, regionally.
Duration of assignment:
12 Months (possibility for renewal each year subject to performance and availability of funds)
Location: Accra, Ghana
Roles and Responsibilities
- The National Project (Senior and Junior) Coordinators will be embedded in Ghana’s EPA and they will work in tandem to achieve the expected Outcomes and Outputs of the “NDC Action” project in Ghana (with the Junior Coordinator answering to the Senior Coordinator and providing all needed facilitation support and assistance as required by Senior Coordinator). The Senior Coordinator position can be a part time but the Junior Coordinator Position is a full time role. The exact division of hours between the Senior and Junior Coordinators would be done by the evaluation panel based on several key factors indicated above including (but not limited to) relevant skills and experience, consultant rates (etc.) of shortlisted candidates).
- Support “NDC Action” project implementation and management:
a) General project implementation and management;
b) Drive energetically the “NDC Action” project activities considered most catalytic for driving project results and
fostering their further uptake, using virtuous feed-back loops (through e.g. on the ground targeted cross-sectoral actions that will feed empirical data into coordination mechanisms, that will inform sectoral investment plans amendments, that will then support broader transformation on the ground);
c) Explore and develop project synergies between “NDC Action” project and other NDC implementation support
programmes and other relevant support activities (e.g. NAP, Transparency, etc.), and facilitate peer-learning.
Qualifications of consultant:
- University degree (i.e. postgraduate for Senior Coordinator and a first degree for Junior Coordinator, respectively) in either (or combination of) public administration, development, natural resource management, the environmental science/studies, natural sciences or socio-economic related field.
- Years of experience in areas of work related to climate change policy development and analysis and institutional assessment and capacity building in relation to climate change mitigation and adaptation (at least 10 years for Senior Coordinator and a minimum of 5 years for Junior Coordinator);
- Experience working with the Government of Ghana is an asset;
- Experience in program development and implementation is an asset;
- Experience in climate finance is an asset;
- Experience in clean energy and agricultural sectors is an asset;
- Excellent skills and experience in stakeholder engagement and facilitation.
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English;
Special knowledge and skills:
- Professional experience of working with the United Nations projects would be an added advantage;
- Ability to work under pressure, with short lead times.
Application deadline: 25th of July 2020
CV (indicating the names of 3 referees) and cover letter (describing how your skillset, training and education match the job description and requirements). Please indicate in your application whether you are applying for the Senior Coordinator Position or the Junior Coordinator Position.
Please submit your application to Emmanuel Ackom (email@example.com), Daniel Benefor (firstname.lastname@example.org), Richard Munang (email@example.com), Jerome Malavelle (firstname.lastname@example.org), Fatima Begonia Gutierrez Figueroa (email@example.com).
Application deadline: 25/07/2020